Benefits for Veterans
Most veterans and their spouses do not realize they may qualify for benefits administered by the Veterans Administration. The Aid and Attendance Benefit Program is a pension program offered by the VA, which may help you to receive the care you need while living at Genesis Village. We have a community coordinator on our staff to help residents apply for the VA benefits they may have earned.
Key Eligibility Requirements
- The veteran must have served as active military status for 90 or more consecutive days, with one day during a period of wartime (WWII, Korea or Vietnam) as defined by the VA.
- The veteran must have been discharged under anything other than dishonorable conditions.
- The veteran must be over the age of 65 or disabled.
- The veteran or spouse must have a physical or mental condition which required the care or assistance of another person on a regular basis.
- Other groups who provided military related service may also be eligible: WASCs, WASPs and Coast Guard.
- The VA does look at assets in making the determination.
- Divorce makes a surviving spouse ineligible for benefits.
- Processing and approval can take 4 to 8 months.
- The pension is paid directly to the applicant and is retroactive to the first of the month following the VA’s receipt of the application.
|Two veterans married to each other||$2,837.00|
|Veteran with one dependent||$2,120.00|
|Veteran with no dependents||$1,788.00|
|Surviving spouse of a veteran||$1,149.00|
We would be glad to answer your questions about the Aid and Attendance Benefit and help guide you to local resources to help you or your loved one navigate the application process.
For more information about Genesis Village and or veteran benefits, please contact Carleen Sweet or visit www.veteransaid.org.